Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lychee, Passionfruit and Mangos

The fruit in OZ is snack-tacular. Here is looking up into a mango tree, the trees are everywhere and the best mangos I've ever eaten. C and F are big fans too, begging them as snacks.

It took a young gal working at a fruit stand offering me a lychee (one of these little red fruits) to get them figured out. I have seen them in the grocery stores but had no idea what they were or what to do with them- so I left them alone. Finally, fruit gal showed me how to peel it and eat it, and I fell in love.

They are about the size of eyeballs, perhaps a bit bigger, and super slimy- but in any case the kids just can't get around that fact and refuse to eat them.

Don't forget the pit- not edible. They taste kind of like grapes, only a bit sweeter. Delicious little lollies.

Passionfruit sample from the Eumundi Market. You can see here Steve O is a big fan- super sweet fruit, look like slimy fish eyes, still-I can't get enough.

1 comment:

CarrieAnne said...

My uncle LOVES those Lychee things. I am one of those that has a hard time with the "slime" factor. I'm a texture freak whether it's cloth or food...I just can't do certain textures.

OK, I'm starting to gag, I can't talk about it anymore. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails